If it’s been a few years since you’ve seen a dentist, you may be wondering what could happen to your oral health or just what you should expect when you schedule an appointment. We understand, and we’re here for you. We want to do everything we can to make every visit to our dental office comfortable and stress-free, so let’s take a look at what you can expect on your first visit.
Why Do We Avoid the Dentist?
Before we dive into what you can expect at your next appointment with your dentist in Valencia, let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons people avoid the dentist in the first place.
- Fear of the dentist in general
- Fear of judgment
- Life simply got too busy
Whatever your reason may be, we’re ready to help you with open arms.
The best thing you can do when you’re preparing to see a dentist for the first time in a few years is to understand what you can expect.
- X-rays – Your dentist in Valencia will usually take dental x-rays once a year to monitor your oral health. If it’s been a while since your last visit, this will be crucial to helping your dental team understand the current state of your dental health.
- Exam – Besides x-rays, your dentist will perform a thorough and gentle visual and manual exam to take a look at your teeth, gums, tongue, and overall oral health. This helps establish a baseline of your current oral health.
- Cleaning – Most patients will get a cleaning at their first visit, however, this isn’t always the case. If you have gum disease or advanced dental needs, we may need to schedule your cleaning at a different time.
- Treatment – It’s not uncommon for people who haven’t seen a dentist in a few years to need more treatment. Don’t be surprised if we find a few cavities or other things. However, this is nothing to be afraid of. We will walk you through everything we find and talk with you about the best treatment.
There are a few things you can do to prepare for your appointment. Make sure your health history is filled out and up-to-date, including any medications. Try to schedule your appointment for a day and time when you won’t be busy with other things. This can help reduce stress levels. Lastly, make sure to communicate with your dentist about any concerns or fears you may have so they can make you as comfortable as possible during your visit.
Seeing your dentist in Valencia regularly is an important part of preventing any problems from occurring or making sure we catch any problems early when they’re still easy to treat. Skipping dental appointments could lead to:
- Gum disease
- Bad breath
- Oral cancer
We always recommend that our patients see us at least twice a year so we can monitor their oral health. If you’re ready to see us, we’re ready to welcome you. Schedule an appointment today.